Order Before 12PM for Same Day Australia Wide Shipping - Serving Australians Since 2005!
Home Page Learn More About Us Common Questions Help & Support Contact Us
 Barcode Scanners
 Cash Drawers
 Cash Registers
 Receipt Printers
 Vend POS Hardware
 Barcode Printers
 Paper Rolls & Labels
 POS Bundles
 Touch Screens
 POS Computers
 POS Software
 Card Readers
 Customer Displays
 Display Mounts
 External Storage
 Fax Machines
 Label Makers
 Notebooks & Tablets
 Ink Ribbons & Rollers
 PC & POS Servicing
 PDT's and PDE's
 Clearance Items

 Shopping Cart
Shopping Cart Empty

To purchase an item, click the 'Add to Cart' button near your product of choice.

Your E-Mail:


Forgot Your Password?

 How to choose The right receipt paper size and type Published: 1st Jan, 2010  

How to choose The right receipt paper size and type


Measuring your till roll

Till roll measurement sample

VIP Note: 99% of Thermal receipt printers sold in Australia use the industry standard 80mm (w) x 80mm (d) size, otherwise know as 80x80 thermal paper.

Here are links to the box of 24 and 48 you can buy from hotpos:

Box of 24 : http://www.hotpos.com.au/supplies/thermal-rolls-80x80mm-box-of-24.html

Box 50 : http://www.hotpos.com.au/supplies/thermal-rolls-80x80mm-box-48.html

Taking the mesurements

Firstly you need to measure the width of your till roll. Do measure it precisely to be sure it will fit into your equipment. Refer to the user guide that came with the equipment if your are in any doubt.

Secondly, measure the full diameter of the paper across the middle of a new till roll (include the core in the centre as well). It is not as important being as precise in measuring the diameter of your till roll with measuring the width. You may indeed use a smaller size - it simply will just run out quicker!

Understanding the types

There are two types of till roll; thermal and single and multi-ply:

Thermal paper

This is heat sensitive paper. These are used in machines with a thermal print head. A quick way to tell if you have thermal paper is to run your fingernail over the paper. If it leaves a black mark you have thermal paper. If it just leave an indent but no black mark you have plain or bonded paper (refer below)

Single-ply and Multi ply paper

These till rolls are used in impact (dot matrix) printers. You can tell if the equipment you are using is an impact printer by seeing if it uses a ribbon. You may then use a single or multi-ply till roll.



1. How to choose The right receipt paper size and type [ View Article ]
2. MYOB Retail manager - Printer Setup guide [ View Article ]
3. POS Paper Rolls Buying Guide [ View Article ]
4. HotPOS Barcode Printer Buying Guide [ View Article ]
5. What are the benefits of computerising a store? [ View Article ]
6. Cash Drawer Buyers Guide [ View Article ]
7. Receipt printers 101 [ View Article ]
8. 15 Tips to STOP Store THEFT [ View Article ]
9. PSC Barcoding Products Voted Number 1 [ View Article ]
10. Impact printers Vs Thermal Printers [ View Article ]
11. HotPOS's System buying tips [ View Article ]
12. POS Hardware Components Description [ View Article ]
13. Touch Screen Buying Guide [ View Article ]
14. Barcode Scanning Guide [ View Article ]
15. Cash Register Buying Guide [ View Article ]
16. Choosing the right Barcode Label Printer & Labels [ View Article ]
17. What is a QR Code? [ View Article ]

All Website Content Copyright (C) 2005 HotPOS PTY LTD
About Us | Links | Affiliate Program | Price List | Sitemap | Articles | Terms | Privacy Policy